Start Date: Immediate
Team: Marketing & Communications
Location: New Haven, CT or Brooklyn, NY
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates 36 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all of America’s children. We know that every child—regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—deserves access to great schools. Achievement First currently educates more than 13,300 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black or Latinx. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Achievement First seeks a Communications Associate who will support our team’s communications initiatives. This a great opportunity to gain experience and hone skills in non-profit communications and design. The right candidate is a self-starter who is also eager to learn and contribute to a dynamic and fast-moving team.
Responsibilities of the Communications Associate will include, but are not limited to:
• Communications Support:
o Partner with Achievement First Network Support teams—including Development and Recruitment—on communication needs, including writing copy for various external audiences
Draft donor communications, e-blast/updates to external friends/organizations, and other internal communications as needed
o Media and Social Media
Assist in content creation for digital projects including the AF website, AF social media channels, AF blog, and other online platforms
Collaborate with team members to draft media pitches, respond to media requests, and conduct media research
Compile and distribute the AF Daily News Blast, track national and local media hits, and maintain our media contact list
o Proofread and implement copy edits for marketing materials
• Design and General Support:
o Assist in the creation of materials, including iterating on versions of designed marketing and branding collateral
o Create and maintain general purpose templates for various external audiences in Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Publisher
o Conduct press checks for marketing materials and work with vendors to ensure highest quality printing
o Create, organize, and maintain photography and video asset archives
o Provide overall team administrative support
Skills and Characteristics
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Working knowledge of and/or experience working in Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign) and proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher)
• Excellent organizational and coordination skills; able to manage multiple projects at the same time
• Deadline-oriented, comfortable operating with a sense of urgency while also maintaining an eye for detail and quality
• Creative, and committed to problem-solving
• Adaptable and flexible in responding to fast-breaking news and day-to-day changes in priorities
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
• Highly motivated and self-directed, with a strong worth ethic
• Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
Fluency in Spanish and photography skills are a plus.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Associate Director, Team Marketing and Communications
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
Qualifications & Requirements
Educational Background and Work Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent work experience)
• 3-5 years of relevant work experience, consistently meeting or exceeding performance goals