We are The Boston Beer Company. We brew the best beer. We hire the best people.
We are always eager to find competitive, motivated, hardworking people who love beer and want to join our team. We work hard and we play hard. Think you have what it takes?
We are currently hiring a Packaging Technician in Milton, DE.
Under general supervision of the Packaging Supervisor, keeps the line humming through the efficient
coordination of equipment, materials, and beers. Efficiently prepares, bottles and packages beer for
Dogfish Head consumers. Both performs and monitors cleaning and sanitation efforts to ensure that
the Packaging line is always ready to run, and maintains excellent sanitation of all Packaging areas
and peripheral things.
What You'll Do:
- Maintains a continuous workflow and high level of safety, quality, efficiency, cleanliness and sanitation on the line, utilizing interdepartmental resources as necessary.
- Monitors and performs CIP operations in adherence of sanitation directives.
- Operates and troubleshoots all packaging and kegging equipment.
- Stacks, prepares and coordinates the delivery of finished product to the Warehouse.
- Achieves and records quality benchmarks through the completion and monitoring of all various QC line initiatives.
- Operates a forklift properly and safely.
- Assists management with training and coaching of fellow packaging technicians in all Packaging positions.
- Keeps the line running efficiently and effectively at all times while minimizing beer and material losses.
- Utilizes and troubleshoots all equipment as introduced on the Packaging/Kegging line, including operator controls such as PLC, etc.
- Manually stacks cases in specified formation, ensuring that the boxes are dated with the correct date and bright beer tank identification.
- Wraps the finished pallets in plastic and places the appropriate identification placard on each shippable pallet.
- Utilizes forklift to retrieve pallets of glass (to fill depalletizer), crowns, labels and any other necessary supplies from the warehouse.
- Supports quality assurance and control initiatives through testing bottle carbonations and bottle airs, disposing of contaminated beer, cleaning bottles, etc.
- Maintains departmental standards for efficiency, quality, safety and sanitation during all shift rotations.
- Performs and troubleshoots packaging startup operations to sanitize the filler and sets up the glue, labeler and pallets in preparation for the day's run including all associated documentation.
- Performs full packaging end-of-day CIP operations in order to cleanse the filler; completes and verifies daily CIP checklist.
- Performs and troubleshoots kegger startup, end-of-day CIP and run operations per procedures in effect.
- Learns continuously through various training departmental training initiatives; demonstrates training assimilation and supports training initiatives of others.
- Communicates effectively, knowledgably and professionally between the Packaging and Maintenance department regarding line stoppages or other during-run concerns.
- Completes special assignments, tasks and/or projects as assigned by management.
- Makes suggestions to Packaging management concerning the betterment of department operations, processes or procedures.
- Fosters positive working relationships and good communication both within the packaging department and inter-departmentally.
- Enforces and adheres to all company and departmental recycling requirements, including the appropriate destruction of non-saleable beer.
- Enforces and adheres to all safety regulations as required by the position and departmental and company safety policies.
- Maintains good general knowledge of machine mechanics; performs basic trouble-shooting of equipment as appropriate.
- Liases with Quality on the front lines to ensure that beer is ready to go as scheduled and adheres to Quality specs throughout operations to achieve the highest level of quality beer for our customers.
- Ensures proper operation during simultaneous running of the case and carton erector in accordance with all departmental and quality standards.
- Ensures all machinery is stocked with necessary materials, including glue, glass, crowns, labels, cartons and cases; maximizes resources by minimizing waste.
- Ensures that filler is adequately supplied with glass and that stack sheets are stocked properly during depalitizer operations.
- Ensures proper operation during simultaneous running of the filler and labeler, including monitoring proper bottle carbonation and correct bottle-on dates, etc. in accordance with all departmental and quality standards.
- Ensures effective operation of the droppacker, including quality control checks of properly labeled bottles, printed bottle-on dates and saleable carton presentation.
What We're Looking For:
- High School Diploma
- Mechanical / Technical Trade Certificate
- Minimum 5 years machine operation experience in a production environment required
- Mechanical and/or electrical skills/experience required
- Bottling line/high-speed filling operation experience preferred
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We not only have to hire the best, but we have to reward, develop, and retain them too. We also have a variety of benefits including a competitive compensation package, extensive training programs, excellent healthcare, a discounted stock purchase plan, and a 401K program with a generous company match. Not to mention, there’s the free beer too!
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.