WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of 1600 professionals including engineers, scientists, surveyors, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship. We are invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
VHB’s New York City office, named to Crain’s New York Business 100 Best Places to Work in New York City, is seeking a Site / Civil Project Manager with 12+ years of land development experience in the private sector with New York City residential, commercial, and roadway infrastructure experience to join its growing Civil / Design practice in our New York City office. This is an outstanding opportunity to join a dynamic organization and become a member of a growing team while working on exciting assignments throughout New York City from initial scoping through design, permitting approvals, and construction documents for a wide range of civil engineering projects.
The successful applicant will be responsible for a full range of activities including client relations, writing proposals, design and construction support. These will include:
- Manage small, medium, and large design efforts, working within a team of professionals to develop site/civil engineering plans and specifications for a multitude of projects within all boroughs of NYC and responsibility for monitoring and delivering the project financial performance
- Support preparation of design and permitting documents, particularly approvals related to NYC Department of Buildings (DOB) New Building (NB) Applications, to include Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Site Connection Applications, Builder’s Pavement Plans (BPP), Curb Cut Applications, Parks Department (DPR) Street Tree Approvals, Department of Transportation (DOT) Vault Approvals in rights-of-way, and Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Letter of No Objections for sidewalk and utility work within 200-feet of MTA infrastructure
- Prepare and review design drawings and specifications documenting the new building and associated site features, including the layout and material identification of surface features including vehicular access, parking, and site circulation; grading and drainage of the site and conformance with DEP detention requirements and allowable flow rates; utility layout; and erosion and sediment control
- Attend meetings with clients, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders to establish their needs and discuss design/permitting issues and overall schedule
- Supervise design team activities during construction administration and construction close-out
- Develop new project opportunities and manage proposal submissions
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think critically
- Ability to multitask
- Strong computer skills
- Excels working in a team environment
- Exhibits strong leadership skills
- 11-15 years of site/civil engineering experience, specifically with private sector projects in NYC
- BS in Civil Engineering or related degree required
- Licensed Professional Engineer in New York required, ability to obtain a New Jersey PE.
- Proficient in roadway design, site layout, grading, utility design and stormwater management
- Experience with DOB New Building related approvals, DEP Amended Drainage Plans, Master Plans, Site Connection Applications, and NYCDOT BPPs
- Understanding of the NYCDEP, NYCDOT, NYCDPR, MTA, NYSDEC review processes
- CAD experience required (AutoCAD), GIS experience desired
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.