Assistant Vice President, Metals and Money Markets Operations|
At HSBC, the health and well-being of our employees remains of utmost importance. Many of our roles are permitted to work from home (in states in which HSBC is licensed to operate) until further notice. Upon resumption of normal operations, this role may be performed at our New York, New York office.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Independently facilitate various team tactical and strategic projects by exercising judgment and using experience and authority to effect process changes, with focus on successful and timely delivery while mitigating risk for our Businesses. E.g.:
- Delivery of regulatory initiatives by established deadlines (DFA, EMIR, etc…).
- Through communication with Legal, Tax, Compliance, and other internal groups; articulate potential risks to our Business, and where necessary implement sound procedural controls for the team.
- Ability to identify and recommend pragmatic options for near-term business solutions (inline w/ global strategy). E.g.:
- Work with Business Risk and Control Management to identify potential failures in the team’s procedures and recommend ways to fill control gaps.
- Recommend interim solutions to achieve business objectives until long-term systemic solutions can be developed, while staying in line with Operations guidelines.
- Promote and leverage best practices for project management, business analysis and governance activities. E.g.:
- Assist in aligning the Global Metals Business support model through coordination with London and Hong Kong Operations; i.e. systems integration, key risk and metrics reporting.
- Streamline reporting requirements and timeliness for all BSM America’s Region across Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile.
- Ensure benefits for initiatives are clearly understood and captured as part of approval and prioritization process. E.g.:
- Approach new projects with cost consciousness, and for efficiency results; and appropriately articulate these benefits to Senior Management and Business Heads.
- Interact daily with other areas of the GBM including Product Control, Legal, Compliance, Tax, Change Management, and IT.
- Establish internal working relationships to allow for ease in navigation of various projects and agendas simultaneously.
- Supports all IT projects and new business objectives to ensure they are implemented on schedule with no issues.
- Adheres strictly to compliance and operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC and regulatory standards, policies and practices; reports control weaknesses, compliance breaches and operational loss events.
- Exercise superior client service through daily professional phone and email communications with internal/external clients.
Secondary Responsibilities/Support Functions:
- Provide support of Supervisor functions in their absence. E.g.:
- Representation on conference calls and meetings, speaking to key risks and issues to our team.
- As necessary, review and authorize the team’s manually drafted settlements, confirmations, invoices, etc..
- Process trade confirmations and settle transactions processed for Money Market and Precious Metals Trading desks
- Provide daily reporting of settlement/confirmation breaks and assist in reconciling
- Ensure all transactions are recorded via the necessary processing systems.
- Facilitate transportation coordination for Precious Metals
- Liaising with the applicable Exchanges, utilizing their websites for creating and breaking of electronic Receipts, and daily reporting to the Exchanges
- Create/Provide client statements as required
- Understand the implication of regulation, policies and controls issues relating to their area and prioritize them in a timely manner. Always focus on identifying process efficiencies and control enhancements with risk reduction as key priority.
- Demonstrate a commercial mind-set when decision making regarding costs with a focus on value for money. Articulate cost benefits clearly and provide transparency regarding actual savings.
- Drive superior level of client service by building rapport and championing positive experiences with all HSBC stakeholders. Exercises initiative and independent judgment in resolving client issues and escalate when necessary to avoid reputational or financial losses/issues.
- Identify change opportunities and challenge the status quo. Utilize data to inform and justify process improvements. Exercise network relationships to drive and deliver results. Act as a role model and demonstrate HSBC Values at all times. Seek feedback from others.
Management of Risk
- Each employee must be aware of the Operational Risk scenario associated with the role and acts in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations.
- Each employee must ensure compliance, operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Each employee must promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Each employee must maintain HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators. Any failures to comply with the above should be reflected in year end performance assessments.
- Each employee must understand, follow and demonstrate compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Computer knowledge, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle various tasks simultaneously and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to work under pressure and analyze issues to determine risks to the business.
- Minimum of a BA/BS degree in financial or related field
As an HSBC employee, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities to ensure you have the right skills for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package including a robust Wellness Hub, all in a welcoming, diverse and inclusive work environment. You will be empowered to drive HSBC’s engagement with the communities we serve through an industry-leading volunteerism policy, a generous matching gift program, and a comprehensive program of immersive Sustainability and Climate Change Initiatives. You’ll want to join our Employee Resource Groups as they play a central part in life at HSBC, including the development of our employees and networking inside and outside of HSBC. We value difference. We succeed together. We take responsibility. We get it done. And we want you to help us build the bank of the future!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.