||Phoenix, AZ United States
|| Computers, Software, Education, Engineering, Healthcare, Other, Information Technology, Manufacturing and Production, Retail/Wholesale, Sales, Purchasing, Executive Management, Quality Control, Research & Development, Medical, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Sr. Manager, Formulation|
About the Team
Our Product Development group focuses on delivering customer-centric innovations that are available only at PetSmart. This allows us to create products and solutions that our pet parents are asking for that they can’t find anywhere else. This team partners with Merchandising, Brand Management, Product Design & Integrity, and Global Sourcing to bring the product from vision to reality.
About the Job
The Sr. Manager, Formulation is responsible for developing new propriety-branded pet products to drive customer loyalty, increase profitability, create competitive differentiation, and address merchandising assortment needs. You will lead proprietary brand formulation in dry and wet food, treats, supplements, litter, health and beauty pet product development from concept to launch based on consumer and pet needs, trends, concepts, and prior sales results. You will drive the development process and help to determine key category strategies along with their Brand partner(s). You will have responsibility to develop new enhanced nutritional products and formulations and commercialize products at manufacturing sites.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Develop innovative formulated products and evaluate nutritional adequacy in food products.
- Responsible for formulation across all categories utilizing simulation tools (e.g. Concept 5) and vendor where applicable.
- Ability to spot trends, analyze competitive product and white space. Understands category pricing, & leverages customer needs to create winning strategies from ideation through commercialization.
- Responsible for product development project timelines & driving the process, ensuring all key milestones are met.
- Leads all efforts to cost engineer formulations to achieve or exceed margin requirements provided by Brand Dev and Buyer; also maximizes profits in existing products.
- Formulates based on knowledge of production processes & raw materials.
- Responsible for product development of product in assigned area including assortment sheet, product brief, and sample management.
- Coordinates & creates materials for various meetings, from team concept brainstorming to cross-functional presentations.
- Create developmental specifications including formulation during initial Product Development.
- Define Food Safety parameters and oversee initial Research & Development Test Runs.
- Review and approve all claim substantiation and maintain a claims library for all formulated products
- Conduct and manage ongoing studies to ensure products meet or exceed expectations to validate claims and ensure stability, palatability and digestibility.
- Verify product names, ingredients, claims and GA values to meet AAFCO requirements during the packaging label review process.
- Create draft specifications with product attributes and tolerances defined during the final product development stages.
- Manage full production start-up for product launches and partner with QA for on-going manufacturing and compliance product needs.
- Maintain and manage formulation changes and specifications for key proprietary ingredients.
- Domestic and International travel (at least 30%).
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Food Science, Nutrition, or Animal Science preferred or equivalent additional years’ experience in role. Advanced degree a plus.
- Requires proficiency typically obtained with 10+ years’ experience including 3+ years demonstrated leadership in formulated product development and 3+ years in technical management.
- Experience in pet consumables or meat based product development a plus.
- Experience in retail a plus.
- Successful leadership managing five or more technical people.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Strong, concise written and verbal communication.
- Formulation simulation software knowledge (e.g. Genesis, Concept 5 or equivalent).
- Highly motivated problem solver and the drive to deliver objectives in a complex environment.
- Ability to plan, put together well thought out design of experiments, anticipate next steps and incorporate course corrections when hurdles appear.
About the Culture
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
- Learn more about #LifeAtPetSmart here: https://www.lifeatpetsmart.com/life-at-petsmart/
- Check out Associate stories and share in some celebrations at PetSmart: https://www.blog.lifeatpetsmart.com/
- Explore PetSmart Benefits here: https://benefits.petsmart.com/