Lead HR Business Partner, California|
About the Team
Our Human Resources team defies all conventional expectations and is a business-connected solutions provider. The work we do directly aligns with the company’s core areas of focus, and we ensure that associates and leaders are ready to support those strategic objectives. Our HR team is comprised of different departments, including Talent Acquisition, HR business partners, Learning & Development, Compensation & Benefits, and Shared Services. We enable meaningful careers for all and build our Associate Workplace Experience!
About the Job
This position is responsible for the development and delivery of the HR strategy for an assigned Region(s) of the PetSmart field organization, including the development and implementation of HR plans and programs that enable the field to achieve its strategic objectives. In partnership with the Director of Field Human Resources, this individual is responsible for providing direct support to the Regional Director(s) and District Leaders of the assigned region(s), as well as HR support for associates and leaders in the region(s), focusing on topics such as talent acquisition, talent and leadership development/ training, engagement, associate retention, and associate relations. This position requires a high level of cross-functional collaboration throughout the Human Resources, home offices, and store/field organizations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Partners with Director of Field Human Resources to help develop and deliver the HR strategy for the assigned Region(s).
- Directly supports the Regional Director(s) and District Leaders for assigned Region(s) regarding HR strategic support and consultation. Provides regular coaching, guidance, and feedback to help manage the HR operations in their Region(s).
- Supports all areas of HR for assigned Regions(s), including talent and performance management, succession planning, engagement, positive workplace environment, organizational development, change management, associate relations, employment law, and effective adoption of company initiatives and strategies.
- Supports the HR strategy by measuring operational success through HR metrics, including staffing and turnover. Regularly reviews metrics, analyzes and identifies trends, and recommends plans of action to address gaps.
- Partners with the Associate Relations and Legal teams to conduct associate relations and ethics and integrity investigations, as well as high-conflict brand risk situations. Supports associate relations initiatives to ensure an engaged workforce, implementation of retention efforts and a respectful workplace environment.
- Promotes and strengthens the positive work environment by actively listening and appropriately responding to associate/leadership concerns with a sense of urgency.
- Supports talent acquisition, including building external talent pipeline, supporting talent development programs, and creating strategies for employer branding initiatives. Partners with hiring managers to understand organizational needs and takes an active role in the interview process for District Leaders and other designated positions.
- Collaborates with the Director of Field Human Resources and Learning & Development partners to identify training and leadership development needs and implement solutions. Facilitates training sessions on topics such as diversity and inclusion, positive associate relations, leadership development, and team building. Administers development programs, including ASL Lead.
- Supports talent management and Everyday Performance Management initiatives, including coaching good and poor performance. Supports Associate Relations in advising leaders on the coaching to correct process, including disciplinary actions and terminations (in with partnership with Legal.)
- Supports and guides all members of leadership through the succession planning process, including identification and development of high potential associates and bench strength, potential successors and critical needs. Helps leaders develop an internal growth plan and direction for associates. Assists in delivering feedback on internal assessment tools.
- Acts as project manager for projects, applying an enterprise-lens and downstream impacts to all areas of HR, home offices, and stores/field.
- Maintains close and trusted partnerships between field HR and home offices, maintaining alignment with key partners and sharing information with all parties on a regular basis.
- Serves as backup to the Director of Field Human Resources when necessary.
- Regular travel is required (up to 50%), including overnight and international travel as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and 7+ years in an HR generalist capacity for a business or multi-unit retail function, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must operate independently with limited oversight from leadership. Able to make autonomous decisions at the enterprise-level.
- Must demonstrate business and financial acumen.
- Must possess excellent problem-solving, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Must possess outstanding organizational skills, including attention to detail.
- Must demonstrate ability to build partnerships/relationships with internal and external partners, leveraging interpersonal skills to build trust.
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Must demonstrate excellent change management skills to help others adapt with change in direction.
- Must be proficient in using the Microsoft Office Suite including experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intellectual, professional and interpersonal ability and flexibility.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment are characteristic of those found in a typical business office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
About the Culture
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
- Learn more about #LifeAtPetSmart here: https://www.lifeatpetsmart.com/life-at-petsmart/
- Check out Associate stories and share in some celebrations at PetSmart: https://www.blog.lifeatpetsmart.com/
- Explore PetSmart Benefits here: https://benefits.petsmart.com/