About the Position
VHB’s New York City office, named to Crain’s New York Business 100 Best Places to Work in New York City, is seeking a growth-oriented, New York metro market-connected, entrepreneurial, and experienced Managing Director to lead operations and drive future growth of our office. The successful candidate must have extensive operational and business development experience; broad knowledge of the delivery of integrated engineering, transportation, planning, and environmental services to public and private sector clients; and a demonstrated ability to lead, mentor, and manage staff. The successful candidate must also be able to lead the development and implementation of a vision and growth strategy to expand VHB’s prominence and growth in the region.
- Lead the vision and growth plan for the operation
- Establish the office’s annual business plan and oversee the achievement of business and financial goals
- Coordinate business development efforts to identify and pursue opportunities in multiple markets for public and private sector clients
- Develop and partner with office leadership team to establish and achieve the strategic initiatives for the office
- Conduct office leadership meetings and office-wide staff meetings
- Oversee project performance
- Participate in NYC business community and industry activities to further the prominence of VHB
- Develop and grow VHB staff, acting as a mentor at all levels
- Lead go/no go and partnering decisions on strategic pursuits
- Oversee relationships with key clients and manage important project assignments
- Manage external visibility efforts in collaboration with the Marketing Director
- Serve as a VHB ambassador, promoting VHB’s success and seeking innovative ways to lead industry
- Participate as a member of the Regional Leadership Team and the Corporate Operations Committee
Skills and Attributes
- Exceptional teamwork and collaboration skills, including ability to develop and mentor staff while successfully managing complex, multi-disciplinary projects
- Strong business acumen
- Proven ability to think and act strategically in generating new business and pursuing client targets
- Demonstrated track record in managing a growing office and overseeing a team of industry professionals
- Knowledgeable in a broad range of engineering, transportation, planning, and environmental topics, spanning both the public and private sectors
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- 15+ years of relevant management experience with a multi-disciplinary AEC firm
- 10 years of metro NYC experience in a leadership capacity required
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Transportation, Environmental Services or a related field
- Master’s Degree is preferred
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.