Graphic Arts Instructor|
Graphic Arts Instructor
Salary Range: $57,635- $77,843/yr initial salary placement is commensurate with experience and educational background.
Application Deadline Date: June 14, 2022
Please visit: https://peraltaccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/6003 for a comprehensive position profile and application instructions.
Duties & Responsibilities
Teaching schedule may include evening or weekend hours as part of contract assignment.
Instructors are expected to use and keep abreast of advanced teaching methods, including the use of current and future technologies to support student learning and career objectives.
• Teach fundamental graphic design concepts and software.
• Foster an inclusive and respectful community of learner that critically explores, investigates and engages in problem-posing analysis of the above topic areas, and, that integrates issues and challenges relating to local, national, and global multicultural/multiethnic/multiracial dynamics, exploring both historically successful and new alternative strategies for addressing these challenges.
• Provide class instruction in accordance with established course outlines.
• Inform students via syllabi concerning course requirements, evaluation procedures, and attendance requirements.
• Maintain necessary attendance, scholastic and personnel records, and submits them according to published deadlines.
• Prepare and grade class assignments and examinations and promptly returns them to students.
• Post and maintain required office hours in accordance with the prevailing policy.
• Participate in faculty discussions on curriculum, teaching-learning techniques and teaching materials.
• Participate on departmental, divisional, and campus committees. Develop and revise courses in the discipline.
The Instructor is also responsible for providing a full professional service week that may include, but is not limited to:
• Teaching, teaching preparation, maintenance of office hours and student advising, and maintenance of student rosters, class records and grade completion in accordance with District policy and procedures;
• Performing departmental duties such as program and curriculum development, evaluation and revision, and selecting appropriate instructional materials, and working with administrators and other faculty to develop a comprehensive pre-collegiate program;
• Participation in professional activities such as departmental and campus committee work, faculty peer evaluations, staff meetings and participation in the governance structure of the College and District;
• Pursuing professional growth activities to remain current in discipline and teaching methodology;
• Performing professional outreach activities (e.g., working with administrators and other faculty, as part of course development and depending on need, by participating in an industry advisory committee for a program, working with inter-segmental education partners—such as high school, adult school and other colleges—and industry partners to design and implement effective basic skills curricula and career pathways in the discipline, etc.); and
• Performing other related duties as assigned by the College.
Qualifications & Requirements
1. Possession of any Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university AND four (4) years of experience in Graphic Arts.
2. Possession of any Associate Degree from an accredited college AND six (6) years of experience in Graphic Arts.
3. May submit a fully satisfied lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential authorizing service to teach courses in
(California credentials were no longer issued after July 1, 1990).
4. The equivalent qualifications.
5. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Master’s Degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Communication Design, or closely related field.
Two years of recent Graphic Arts teaching experience at the postsecondary or community college level; or in a corporate training environment.
Professional experience in the graphic design field.
Experience teaching Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office 365 applications.
Ability to support current program offerings abroad and in lab setting.
Ability to develop cultural awareness programs and work with student governance groups.
Demonstrated proficiency with online teaching
Ability to serve on academic committees and to take a leadership role in the department.
Experience in curriculum development including distance education, and/or hybrid courses.
Ability to develop, in collaboration with the department chair, new online and hybrid classes.
Recent experience teaching courses in the discipline.
Evidence of strong commitment to professional growth and development and to the continued innovation and improvement of teaching.
Ability to teach a wide range of classes as schedules and institutional commitments require.
Prior experience in or willingness to explore the use of Open Educational Resources to create Zero Textbook Cost courses