Head of Propulsion & Dynamic Systems|
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the worlds communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving peoples ability to move whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Head of Propulsion & Dynamic Systems is responsible for leading the development and integration of eVTOL propulsion and rotary system to achieve functional and performance requirements of the aircraft. The role works with cutting edge technologies including high voltage architectures, traction motors, power electronics and powertrain controls to meet customer requirements, ensure corporate objectives, and ensures designs are safe, certifiable and can be manufactured and produced economically.
This position is responsible for building the team and for the technical and managerial oversight of key capabilities and performance requirements for multiple aircraft including development and integration of innovative propulsion architectures and system designs to achieve functional requirements, architecture design with optimized redundancy levels; specification of hardware elements and technical support to procurement; propulsion software specification; fault management design; lab testing of flight hardware & software; on-aircraft testing; support to vehicle flight testing; and anomaly resolution among other responsibilities. The role partners with energy storage systems, flight controls, and others for powertrain control development to ensure designs can be manufactured and produced safely and economically.
This position will be required to work on-site 5 days a week.
What you can do:
- Oversee design and development of electric propulsion and rotary systems to achieve functional and performance requirements of aircraft
- Solve complex technical challenges for propulsion and across engineering disciplines
- Analyze designs to ensure functionality, performance, safety and manufacturability
- Develop and review system architectures and interfaces
- Lead system implementation, validation and verification of propulsion system requirements
- Enforce the proper use of engineering criteria and drawing standards
- Assume engineering responsibility for assigned programs
- Create action plans, assign resources, and monitor activities to ensure project deliverables are met
- Assign workloads to challenge and strengthen employees
- Define program objectives and requirements to both customer and suppliers
- Provide leadership to a large technical staff to ensure program success
- Mentor and develop engineering staff
- Prepare plans and assign projects and responsibilities to subordinates
- Provide management to technical staff including resource planning, scheduling, and administration
- Ensure that technical issues are resolved within the framework of company policies and procedures
- Provides assistance in service activities and manual preparation
- Maintain effective communication with suppliers, customers, and internal departments concerning technical issues affecting the program
- May require up to 25% of domestic and international travel
- Other duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor's degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical or Electronics Engineering or applicable science degree required
- Minimum of twenty (20) years of experience in powertrain, high power & voltage applications, and/or aerospace propulsion (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in engineering leadership roles with team responsibility
- Experience with electric powertrain controls, power electronics and traction motors
- In-depth experience with automotive battery electric vehicle powertrain development including system architectures, component selection, thermal management, integration and validation
- Experience in product development, from concept through prototyping to full rate production
- Experience with electric powertrain simulation
- Experience with all facets of product design and certification, including conceptual design, preliminary design, detail design, prototype fabrication and assembly, bench test of complex systems, flight test, certification, entry into service, and sustainment
- Expertise in high volume automotive electric powertrain system design
- Knowledge of aerospace drivetrains, especially rotorcraft and propeller aircraft
- Familiarity with electric powertrain simulation
- Ability to build relationships quickly and effectively with internal and external leaders and to utilize these relationships to ensure success.
- Ability to create action plans, assign resources, and monitor activities to ensure project deliverables are met
- Must have the ability to independently prioritize and accomplish work within time constraints
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive delivery of communication and follow up
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
You may also be able to contribute:
- VTOL aircraft certification experience (Part 27/29) and/or fixed wing (Part 23/25) certification experience as well as familiarity with relevant standards preferred
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other category or class protected under applicable federal, state or local law. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code subject to U.S. export controls laws and regulations. If an export authorization from an applicable US regulatory agency is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernals receipt of such regulatory authorization(s) and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations pursuant to such authorization(s).
Base pay offered may vary depending on skills, experience, job-related knowledge and location. This position is also eligible for a bonus as part of total compensation.
The pay range for this position is:
Click HERE or visit: https://jobs.supernal.aero/benefits to view our benefits!